What is Physiotherapy?
Physiotherapy is a field of exercise medicine where through movement, exercise, manual therapy and advice, people affected by injury, illness and disability would regain movement and function. It is a science-based profession which assumes a holistic approach catering for the patients’ diverse needs. Indeed, patients are at core of our physiotherapy services allowing them to take ownership of their health through education, awareness, empowerment and participation in treatment.
What Physiotherapists do?
Rather than just focusing on the isolated aspects of an injury or illness. A Physiotherapists would consider the body as a whole and provides a holistic services for ones recovery.
Physiotherapists’ main approaches to care would include:
- education and advice – anything from posture and correct lifting or carrying techniques can help prevent injuries and preempt the need to health issues later on in life. Physiotherapists can give you general advice about things that can affect your daily lives, and your general health and wellbeing.
- movement, tailored exercise and physical activity advice – by strengthening your body or specific part of your body by means of exercises which may be recommended by a physiotherapists it will improve your general health and mobility.
- manual therapy – physiotherapist are trained in giving physical therapy on one’s body to help relieve pain and stiffness, and to encourage better movement of the body
There are other techniques that may sometimes be used, such as exercises carried out in water (hydrotherapy or aquatic therapy) or acupuncture.
Who can benefit from Physiotherapy?
Anyone can benefit from physiotherapy in that it is not an age-related profession, with physiotherapists having an array of knowledge and skills to improve and treat a variety of conditions, including:
– Neurological (stroke, Parkinson’s, Multiple Sclerosis)
– Neuromuscular (Pain, Trauma, Arthritis)
– Cardiovascular (Chronic heart disease)
– Respiratory (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, Asthma)
3C Malta have specialised physiotherapist who can help treating and managing these conditions. Get in touch to discover more on what we can offer and how you can benefit from our services.